Clocks, Watches/Schatz 1881 Royal Mariner

The clock now does not start after winding unless it is taken off the wall and gently shaken. I would like to clean and oil it. Saw your earlier advice about removing the hands (nut over the minute hand) but once the minute hand is off the hour hand seems to be very firmly attached.

The hour hand is pressed on. After many years the hand can become very tight. You could try removing the dial (face) and see if the gear the hour hand is on comes off with it. Be careful, that gear might have a keeper on it that would prevent you from removing the face without taking the hour hand off.
Regarding cleaning the movement: The mainsprings are most likely in barrels. You can't soak the movement in cleaner unless you take the barrels out. You don't want the mainsprings to get wet while they are in barrels. The liquid will never come back out and the spring will rust in a few short months. To properly clean the mainsprings they need to be taken out of the barrels.
Important: You have to let the power completely off of the mainsprings before doing any of the following: 1) Taking the movement apart. 2) removing the barrels from the movement 3) taking the springs out of the barrels.

clock parts and repair

Clocks, Watches

Michael Radi

Clock repair and clock parts questions.

I have been professionally repairing clocks for 17 years. I owned and ran a clock shop for 6 years and I am the owner of the clock parts supply company;

National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

High school graduate, some college, graduate of Niles Bryant School of Piano Tuning and repair.

I perform about 20 clock repairs per week.