Clocks, Watches/Schatz 1881 Royal Mariner

Question
The clock now does not start after winding unless it is taken off the wall and gently shaken. I would like to clean and oil it. Saw your earlier advice about removing the hands (nut over the minute hand) but once the minute hand is off the hour hand seems to be very firmly attached.

Answer
The hour hand is pressed on. After many years the hand can become very tight. You could try removing the dial (face) and see if the gear the hour hand is on comes off with it. Be careful, that gear might have a keeper on it that would prevent you from removing the face without taking the hour hand off.
Regarding cleaning the movement: The mainsprings are most likely in barrels. You can't soak the movement in cleaner unless you take the barrels out. You don't want the mainsprings to get wet while they are in barrels. The liquid will never come back out and the spring will rust in a few short months. To properly clean the mainsprings they need to be taken out of the barrels.
Important: You have to let the power completely off of the mainsprings before doing any of the following: 1) Taking the movement apart. 2) removing the barrels from the movement 3) taking the springs out of the barrels.

Michael
www.norkro.com
clock parts and repair

Clocks, Watches

Michael Radi