Clocks, Watches/W. Haid pendulum clock

Question
I have a 74 Haid with a 34 cm pendulum. Hermle part number is 141-030. This clock works very well when completely wound. However, it doesn't go through the complete cycle. It works for a couple days, then has to be rewound. What can I do to fix this?

Answer
Gordon, I assume that by not going through the complete cycle, you mean that it doesn't run for the full 8 days on a complete winding.  If that is the case, you are not getting enough power from the mainspring to the hands.  This can be caused by a mainspring that has not been wound all the way, lost its strength or there is excessive friction on the gear train (all of the gears).  I recommend that a clock be serviced every 7 to 10 years to inspect it for worn parts or gummy lubricants.  You did not give me a history of the clock such as you just acquired it or the service history.  If it has not been serviced in this time, I would suggest that you take it to an experienced clockmaker.  I don't really think there isn't anything you can do yourself for this problem.  If you don't know of a clockmaker near you, let me know the area in which you live and I'll see if any of my Internet Clocksmiths members might be near you, or maybe I can find someone else.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman