Clocks, Watches/341-020 eaton clock

Question
QUESTION: Hi i have a 8 day Eaton mantel clock i've just purchased. It has three area's to wind, middle key , and left and right. The middle key i was able to wind. Left and right is not moving. It has the west minister chime and i have noticed that the hammers are not chiming. Clock is running in perfect time. What can i do to help this clock come back to life.Thank you

ANSWER: Janice, your Eaton uses a movement manufactured by Hermle.  As you face the clock, the left winding arbor is for the strike, the center for the time and the right one is for the chime.  They all wind in the clockwise direction.  Some of these clock were provided with a chime silent lever.  Most levers are located in a slot on the dial next the the number "3".  A few you have to access from the back of the clock.  If there is no silent/chime lever, it could be that the clock needs servicing because of gummy lubricants and/or worn parts.  One thing you can do is look at the chime hammers and see if they are all aligned at rest.  If not, carefully pull them all back about 1/2" and see if that would unjam it.  Turn the minute hand to the 12 and when it clicks the chimes should start running.  If this doesn't work, it might have to be looked a by an experienced clockmaker.  That's about all I can tell you about the problem.  Good luck and if you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: Hi thank you John for your quick response. When you say to move them back. Do you mean upward 1/2" or  backwards ? I haven't done anything yet. Just would like to make sure what i'm doing is correct. I have looked at the hammers and all but the second one is actually touching the chimes. By this i mean when you are looking straight ahead at them . Second inline from the front. It is raised slightly up.
Thanks
Janice

Answer
Sorry I did not make it clear.  When chiming and striking, the hammers pull back (up) about 1/2" and then are released to strike the rods.  The hammers being on the bottom I should have said pull them up.  On this model there should be a silver lever attached to the left side of the movement that goes over the chime hammers.  It should be rotated up and out of the way of the hammer action.  If the hammer that is sticking up a little is jammed on the chime drum, lifting it up should free it up.  But, again, the clock could need servicing.

None of the hammers should be touching the rods. The way we adjust them is to form the hammer arms so the hammers are about 1/16" to 1/8" away from the rods at rest.  Then when the chime play, the arms can be formed closer or further away to obtain a good striking sound.  However, this would have nothing to do with the running of the chimes, so I would not do anything about this until we get it operating properly.  Let me know what you find.  And to free up my Allexperts question queue, which has a limited number of questions per day, you can reply to my clock shop email address below.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman