Clocks, Watches/Dae Woo pendulum/chime movement

Question
My uncle brought this Korean Dae Woo pendulum/chime clock movement to me and asked if I would build a mantel clock around it. He knows that I enjoy woodwork and that I've always wanted to try my hand at building a clock. My uncle also brought plans for a Shaker style mantel clock but it calls for a battery powered pendulum movement. Finally, knowing that his son purchased the Korean movement at a flea market, I mounted the movement on a board and balanced it to make sure that it worked first. Well, it works for a short time then the time advance lever and gear does this strange shudder, the pendulum keeps swinging for a bit longer but not enough to advance the gear. Also, the lever has some black soot like material on it as does the gear. I've seen others describe the same problem with this movement but I haven't seen the solution. One last question, how or where do you mount the chime bars so that the mount is not seen behind the pendulum since the hammers are on the bottom?

Answer
Janet, in answer to your questions, first, The Asian clocks of this type were the economy type and they do experience a bit of wear and problems once they fail.  I sounds like the escape wheel and verge are either worn or out of adjustment and it would take an experienced clockmaker to determine what was wrong and if it would be economical to restore it.  Most of the Dae Woo movements I have seen were for the wall clocks and a rather long pendulum, but the clock would have to be tall enough to house the pendulum.  However, if it is a chime and strike movement with the hammers on the bottom, it could be the mantle clock type.  

Quartz or mechanical movements can can be used in cases, but there must be enough room for the movement to fit, including the positioning of the chimes and pendulum.  The dial thickness must be known so the movement with the proper handshaft length can be fitted.  The dial thickness also will have to fit into the equation for proper mounting.  A dial with winding arbor holes to match the movement winding arbors must be selected.

The "black soot" you see is a combination of ground up steel and brass from wear, and oil.  You will find this on the escapement verge pallets and on the pinions and bushings in the plates of the movement.  In servicing a movement, this debris is removed, the pinions and bushings must be inspected, and if necessary, polished or replaced.

As far as the mounting of the chime bars, I would have to see a photo of the movement and chime block assembly to determine the type and how to mount them.  It would help if you can send a photo of each to my shop email address below.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman