Clocks, Watches/Emperor Grandfather clock chime

My Emperor clock has stopped striking the number of hours on the hour (ie 6 strikes @ 6 o'clock) and now strikes once on the hour. The Westminster chime works as it always has. This started after I let the clock stop and moved the hands on the face forward to get it back to the proper time.

Hi Bill.

There could be many reasons why the striking is only striking once on every hour. This would require removing the dial and finding out why.

If the clock is striking the wrong number on each hour this is a different problem. But always striking once on every hour means something isn't falling as it should.

You would need a professional on this. Unless you wanted to remove the hands and the dial and look at it yourself. You would have to look up how a grandfather clock works.

Your moving the hands forward should not have caused this problem although it is possible. Maybe the rack is just stuck?????

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady.  

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist