Clocks, Watches/Modern Grandfather Clock

I recently moved my modern Grandfather clock to another house. It's level. And its doesn't have weights (just decorative ones). It does have a pendulum though.
When I engage the pendulum, it won't continue to swing at all. On inspection of the movement, I can see that the escape wheel doesn't turn when the anchor hits it. It just moves slightly back and forward, without ever moving over a tooth. Do you have any suggestion on fixing it? Thank You

Hi, Leena.  I'm not sure of the maker of your clock.  That might make a difference in how we diagnose the problem.  Most of the wind up grandfather clocks with decorative weights are Asian made 31 day clocks.  I don't have a photo of the clock but it could be that the hanger assembly or suspension rod has unhooked.  But since you have moved the anchor, it seems like there is no power getting to the escape wheel.  There are some makes of clocks that have a slip mechanism on the anchor.  n transporting a clock it can get knocked out to one side.  You can slip the crutch (the vertical arm that comes out of the back of the clock) back and forth and see if it swings equally left to right from a vertical line. If it is too far to one side, you should  be able to slip it left to right to obtain an equal swing.  I do have to mention this, but make sure the mainsprings are wound.  It has happened before.   Make sure the hands are not touching as they cross each other.  Than will stop a clock.  If none of this works, contact me at my shop email address below with a photo of the back of the movement if you can.

I apologize for the delay, but I started your answer a couple of days ago and put it on hold.  I did not get back to it until now.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and the workload
I have at my clock shop, I regret that I cannot answer
personal email questions on a timely basis other than
Allexperts follow up questions.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)