Clocks, Watches/My pendulum wall clock stops.

My Howard Miller wall clock keeps stopping after running for about 5 minutes. It is wound with a key and I start the pendulum and it stops. It is over 25 years old now. Is there someplace I need to clean?

try here first:  The pendulum assembly begins at the top with a 1" two legged suspension spring pinned to a brass post sticking out of the back of the rear movement plate.
  Next a silver(probably) suspension leader about 5" long that hooks onto the bottom of the suspension spring and passes through the "foot" shaped forked brass piece (and must be in the center of the fork slot and not be rubbing front or back) that connects into the inside of the movement. Newer movements have a horizontal bar that fits in the brass suspension leader slot.
  Lastly the top of the pendulum hooks onto the bottom of this suspension leader. NOW if all is correctly assembled, swinging the pendulum will get it ticking. The sound of the ticking must sound even or balanced on either side. Not over-swinging one side or the other.
  If it is not sounding even, then push with your hand the top third of the pendulum over to the side that has the excessive overswing. You may feel some resistance but gently push a bit more then try the sound of the ticking after swinging the pendulum freely.
  If the sound is not improved in the balance then do more pushing -if it is now sounding like excessive swing in the opposite direction then push the pendulum to the other side till it sounds a pretty even tick. Clock should run then. .(There is a little slip clutch that you are adjusting when you push the "L" shaped foot to either side.)
  There are a hundred things that could be wrong- you have just taken a tour through the repair of what is wrong 98% of the time!

Clocks, Watches

Kenneth Saunders

any mechanical clock question -no watches- no battery clock questions and no appraisals-ie: "how much is my clock worth?" type questions please! Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks 40 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner

43+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score....