Clocks, Watches/Analog clocks

QUESTION: Where can I buy  a NYHOLDINGS #47622U        ANALOG CLOCK       1931 BIG BEN ?

ANSWER: Story, are you referring to a Big Ben clock that was made in 1931 with "NYHOLDINGS #47622U on it?  I am not familiar with the NY information, and I do not know if the Big Ben clocks had dates on them.  The only thing I can suggest is that you put the information in a search on an Online auction Website such as eBay.  I will check with my Internet Clocksmiths Group and see if anyone has any information on what you have given me.  If I hear anything I will get back with you.  Sorry I cannot be of better help.

John Newman

QUESTION: Actually, I am looking for a modern analog bedside clock made by NY HOLDINGS called Big Ben with that order number. Just can't seem to find a website for NYHOLDINGS to order it from!
Thanks for trying to help me.

Story, this is a little far fetched, but could the clock be a Big Ben ( I think that they are still being made under that trademark name) model made as a promotion give-away for a financial company called New York Holdings?  In the first to mid part of the 1900's, banks and financial institutions use to give away promotional or premium items for opening accounts, etc.  Where did you see one of these?

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)