Clocks, Watches/elgin anniversary clock

QUESTION: I am looking for a glass dome for my anniversary clock model #1007. the size is 14 1'2 by 5

ANSWER: Virginia, Initally, if I am reading the dimensions correctly, I cannot find any listings for glass domes 14-1/2" high X 5" diameter.  That might have been special model of clock.  If those dimensions are correct, a replacement would have to be blown by a custom glass maker.  The cost would be rather high.  Please confirm the dimensions.  Thanks.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: Yes that is the measurement we come up with. Thanks for letting me know. Virginia

I will check with my Internet Clocksmiths Group and see if any of the members might know of a source.  If not I can supply you with some custom dome glass blowers that might be able to make one for you.  If you will reply to my shop email address below, I will get you the information.  It will also help free up the Allexperts Q & A queue, of which a limited amount per day is allowed.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)