Clocks, Watches/Elgin E 7749

Question
I have a Elgin E 7749 but I do not have the key for winding. The face of the clock has two portals for winding but the openings are only about 3/16" deep; looks like nylon stems that have been broken off. The ID of the openings Collects# look like they would accept a 1/4- 5/16" Allen key. This unit had been wound regularly but with what?, We don't have a key. Do the two collets thru the face actually twist #turn# with  the appropriately sized Allen Key? Where can I buy a key for this application? What does it look wike? Many thanks for your help with this mystery.

Answer
Bob, as far as I know, the Elgin E7749 is an Asian 31-day time and strike clock.  The normal configuration is that the two holes have steel winding arbors for the mainsprings.  The left one powers the strike and the right on is for the time.  These would not use Allen wrenches but clock keys withe square holes.  Key size for clocks is critical, as they have to fit perfectly.  They should go on without binding and have no more than about 5 degrees of play.  If the key is too big it can slip and the mainspring can kick back and damage the clock and cause serious personal injury.  Also note that the winding should be done slowly, carefully and with your other hand steadying the clock.  I have had clock owners come in with injuries from winding clocks, resulting medical treatment such as having to have serious cuts stitched.  And the 31-day clock are more powerful.  I have seen some slipped or broken 31-day clock mainsprings that have knocked the sides out of clocks.  The only way to select the correct key is to take it to a clockmaker that can match the key to the winding arbors, OR if you can have someone use a set of calipers or micrometer to check the dimension across the flats of the winding arbors, I can find a key for you.  To measure the winding arbors as described above, the hands and dial usually have to be removed.  One of the pitfalls of trying to select a key my name of clock and size of key is that some of these clock manufacturers are not consistent in the winding arbor sizes and the key manufacturer's key sizes vary.

Let me know what you want to do.  BTW, if you'll Google "clock winding key images"  you will see what they look like.  Many of the Asian keys have the winding wings on the key painted black.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman