Clocks, Watches/grandfatherclock

Question
my grandfather clock keeps good time.but the( center time train,or center iron),drops faster than the hour or chime trains
what causes this.

Thank you Martin

Answer
the three weights come down relatively evenly only if the clock is chiming properly on all the quarters and striking properly on all the hours. If your clock does not have a selector for automatic night shut-off  OR the selector for the chimes is in the OFF position some of the time, then the clock is not functioning properly if they do not come down evenly.

often the cause is improper weight placement-- the heaviest weight goes on the right for the chimes to work properly. Next heaviest goes in the middle as you face the clock.

if the weights are right and the selector is ON  and the time weight still descends faster than the others, your clock is in need of professional service.

Clocks, Watches

Kenneth Saunders