Clocks, Watches/Rhythm Mantel Clock (Japan) with chiming problem

Question
QUESTION: Hi John.
This clock chimes correctly from 12 to 6 but from 7 to 11 it has one extra chime.

This is a Rhythm (Japan) Mantel model with Hour Strike Transistor. (Battery operated). The timber housing suggests a production model from the 60's. There is no model number. The only controls are Chime on/off button, time adjust control, and a speed increase/decrease (5sec/24hr) adjust control. Do you have any suggestions as to the cause?
Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi, Richard.  Wow! A Rhythm clock from the 1960's.  I would say that is rather rare.  In my opinion you have gotten a lot of use from that clock.  Most of these quartz movements are considered throwaway products, and there is very little documentation for parts and diagnostics for these units.  It sounds like there is a mechanical trip point that is failing during the hours you mention. I don't think it would be an electronic circuit problem.  My suggestion would be to replace the movement with a new unit.  If you will send a clear photo of the front of the clock and one of the back of the movement I will try to find a suitable model and a supplier for it.  I will need a little more information, so if you will reply to my shop email address below with the photos, I can get back with you.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Due to my commitment of answering Allexperts questions in a timely manner and the workload at my shop, I regret that I cannont answer personal emails except from Allexperts follow-up questions in a timely manner.   

QUESTION: Thanks John. I am in Australia so I am sure of you sourcing a replacement part. But I have look at the mechanics. Happy to post a photo for old time sake.

Richard

Answer
Richard, normally I don't recommend repairing these, but because of your location, I have sent an inquiry to see if any of the members of my Internet Clocksmiths group would have any suggestions for diagnostics and repair.  I would still like to see the photos to pass on for additional information.  

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman