Clocks, Watches/Seth Thomas (Talley) catalog #2334

Any idea of a supplier to order a new mechanism for a Seth Thomas cat #2334 Drop Octagon clock?  It runs on one D cell, has a pendulum and Westminster chime.

Dan, As some of these companies changed hands, they did not provide much information as far as replacement parts related to model numbers.  However, there are replacement movements for these clocks that, even though they are not exactly the same, will work fine.  I don't know how old the clock is, but the newer movements have a much improved sound.  When replacing a movement of this type, there are some things that need to be checked.  First, there must be enough room to fit.  The dial thickness must be measured to determine the length of the threaded mounting bushing.  Or it should be the same length of the original bushing.  The hanging position on the new movement should hang about the same as the original so it doesn't rub on anything.  And sometimes the pendulum has to be changed, as it might not fit the new movement.  Also, the hands might not fit.  But some suppliers supply pendulums and hands with the movements.  I can help you with all this if you will reply to my clock shop email address below and send me a photo of front of the clock, the back of the movement and one of the pendulum.  I should be able to identify your movement and/or suggest a replacement for it.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)