Clocks, Watches/trying to find out about a clock to fix it

Question
I have a clock my mother bought me at an auction and brought to me unworking, A wire was loose and no battery was in it so I didnt have to do much before it worked and chimed, however the hour hand just hangs and doesnt move, when you move the clock it dangles (not like it is held in place at all). I am trying to find out about the clock so that I can find out the specs or what I need to fix it. It is a wooden wall clock, with the typical tempus fugit at the top and quartz above westminster chime right above the VI. It also where you would normally see the maker (ie Daniel dakota) it has La cloche. It only has one pendulum and no weights and is battery operated (C size battery). Is there anything you can tell me about this wall clock so that I can possibly know how to fix it or know what to do with it. Thank you. I can send a picture if needed but do not have access to a way to do that right now.

Answer
Ashley, it looks like you have done a good job so far!  These quartz clocks are made by many manufacturers with different names on the clocks and we have no records on them.  The movements are considered throwaway products and as a result, parts or diagnostics are seldom provided by the manufacturers.  The clock repair charges for labor to work on one of these quickly exceed the cost of replacing a new unit.  However, in your case, it seems there is not anything wrong internally with the movement. The hour hand is secured with what we call a tapered slip fit.  It just needs to be pushed on. The way to do it is to turn the minute hand until it reaches the hour and strikes.  Count the number of strikes.  Move the hour hand to the hour that just struck and push it on until it is held firmly.  Then turn the minute hand or use the knob on the back of the movement to set the clock to the correct time of day.  That should do it. If you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman