Clocks, Watches/Seth Thomas Mantel Clock

Hi, I've had my Grandfather's Seth Thomas model E531-001 mantel clock for many years now.  The clock keeps good time, but on the hour is only striking 2-3 times instead of the correct hour.  Any ideas to help fix this would be greatly appreciated.  The mechanism number is A304-000 and it is electric driven.  Thank you for your help.

Mike, I apologize for the delay in my answer.  I have had some modem problems and am now using an alternate computer.

Thanks for the clear photo of the back of the clock.  There can be a few reasons that your clock is striking incorrectly, but it might be that the lubrication in the strike count mechanism has become gummy and not allowing the mechanism to drop to the proper hour count.  Or it could be that a lever is be bent.  If it hasn't been serviced in the last 10 years or so, it is probably the lubricant.  Without seeing the internal operation I could not be sure.  And, regrettably because of the hazards of working with 110VAC electrical circuits, I do not recommend or give advice on working with these clocks unless you are experienced.  If you will give me the area in which you live, I will see if there are any members of our Internet Clocksmiths Group near you.  Please reply to my clock shop email address below and I will get back to you.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)