Clocks, Watches/W Haid Mantel Clock

Question
QUESTION: Is there any way you can set this clock so it chimes only on the hour not the 1/4 and 1/2 hour?

ANSWER: Jim, I had answered your question promising a followup today, but I have just found out that it did not send.  Sorry for the delay.  I do not have  photo of model of your clock, but I am going to guess that it is a Westminster chiming clock, which chimes on the quarters and strikes on the hour.  You had mentioned not chiming on the 1/4 and 1/2, but you did not mention the 3/4.  Let me assume that you don't want to chime on the 3/4 either.  Except for very extensive redesign and modifications, nothing can be done to the clock to make it chime and strike only on the hour.  If you want it to just strike on the hour, you can do the following.  To explain the sequence, there are 5 chime/strike hammers.  On the quarter hour, you have 4 notes in descending order, which we can designate numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4.  The quarters use a combination of these 4 notes.  The hour strike uses 3 hammers, numbers 3, 4 and 5. If you wanted it to strike only on the hour, you would tie off the number 1, 2, 3 and 4 hammers, lifting them out of the way and securing them somehow.  They would not chime at the quarters.  When the clock struck the hour, only the number 5 hammer would strike the hour.  I don't know if this is what you would want, but it is the only way I know of to do this.  If you have any further questions, get back with me.  Good luck.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: there are 8 hammers in this clock and it just went off on the 1/4 hour and they were all used.
I will get a better count on what is used when and email back to you.
Thank you
Jim Ostrowski

Answer
Jim, See what happens to my assumptions?  I neglected to consider that it was a triple chime movement.  I think the next step is to put the selector in the Westminster position, hold all the hammers up except #6.  Nothing will happen during the chime cycle bu # 6 will strike the hour at the hour.  I hope this helps.  And if you need to get back with me, would you please reply to my shop email address below?  I will be on vacation until Monday but will be answering my emails from my laptop if I am in a  Wi-Fi spot.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman