Clocks, Watches/W Haid Mantel Clock

QUESTION: Is there any way you can set this clock so it chimes only on the hour not the 1/4 and 1/2 hour?

ANSWER: Jim, I had answered your question promising a followup today, but I have just found out that it did not send.  Sorry for the delay.  I do not have  photo of model of your clock, but I am going to guess that it is a Westminster chiming clock, which chimes on the quarters and strikes on the hour.  You had mentioned not chiming on the 1/4 and 1/2, but you did not mention the 3/4.  Let me assume that you don't want to chime on the 3/4 either.  Except for very extensive redesign and modifications, nothing can be done to the clock to make it chime and strike only on the hour.  If you want it to just strike on the hour, you can do the following.  To explain the sequence, there are 5 chime/strike hammers.  On the quarter hour, you have 4 notes in descending order, which we can designate numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4.  The quarters use a combination of these 4 notes.  The hour strike uses 3 hammers, numbers 3, 4 and 5. If you wanted it to strike only on the hour, you would tie off the number 1, 2, 3 and 4 hammers, lifting them out of the way and securing them somehow.  They would not chime at the quarters.  When the clock struck the hour, only the number 5 hammer would strike the hour.  I don't know if this is what you would want, but it is the only way I know of to do this.  If you have any further questions, get back with me.  Good luck.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: there are 8 hammers in this clock and it just went off on the 1/4 hour and they were all used.
I will get a better count on what is used when and email back to you.
Thank you
Jim Ostrowski

Jim, See what happens to my assumptions?  I neglected to consider that it was a triple chime movement.  I think the next step is to put the selector in the Westminster position, hold all the hammers up except #6.  Nothing will happen during the chime cycle bu # 6 will strike the hour at the hour.  I hope this helps.  And if you need to get back with me, would you please reply to my shop email address below?  I will be on vacation until Monday but will be answering my emails from my laptop if I am in a  Wi-Fi spot.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)