Clocks, Watches/clock stuck

Question
My grandfather clock will only run when extra pressure is applied to the weights. Its a Howard miller 351-850 movement.

Answer
Brant, the 351-850 was made by Hermle for Howard Miller.  If my memory is correct that movement would be for a wall clocks and has a cable drive with 2 weights on the same pulley for the time, and the chime and strike are powered bu mainsprings.  If the movement hasn't been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years, it could be that the lubricants have become gummy.  The clock should be serviced, which involves, cleaning, inspecting for worn parts, repairing anything needed, oiling and adjusting.  Another reason for not running is that it could be out of beat and that would stop the clock.  In beat means that it has an even tick tock, like, tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it goes tick..tock......tick..tock, it is out of beat and that could stop it.  The easiest way to correct that is to move the bottom of the clock to the left or right a little until you obtain an even beat. Try that and if you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman