Clocks, Watches/Emperor Model 120, 100M Movement

I have a Emperor Model 120 series with a Model 100 M Movement Jauch 77.  My question, during our many moves the clock was not set up properly and as a result the movement ate one of the chains.  I am trying to locate a chain.  After pulling the movement I also need the tension spring and the taper pin.  I went to the Emperor web site and they only list the tension spring.  Any idea where I can get the chain and taper pin?  Thanks!

Don, sorry about loosing the chain.  When you say the movement ate one of the chains, what actually happened?  Was the chain damaged or lost?  As the Jauch 77 movement is not made any more, some of the parts are not available through normal suppliers. In answering Allexperts questions, I try to reference clock suppliers for parts.  However, if I cannot find any sources for parts such as we are discussing, I do offer them.  I do have a supply of parts for the older Emperor clocks, including the parts you need.  Some of them are used but I clean, inspect and guarantee them.  If you will reply to my clockshop email address below I can give you the details and instruct you on installing the chain, plus some other information on your clock and the 100M (Jauch 77) movement.

John Newman
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)