Clocks, Watches/Hermle 130-070 movement time adjustment

Hello Sir
I got a Hermle 130-070 movement (made in 1983) in a brass clock, that is running slow. I reviewed your answer to another question about a 130-070, but that one had a horizontal spring, while mine has the vertical spring. There is a + on the right side (looking at the back), and a - on the left, pressed into the back plate. Could you tell me how to adjust its timekeeping?

John, the vertical spiral spring type is called a "floating balance". There might be other causes for your clock to run slow, but briefly, there are three prongs on the balance wheel.  To increase the speed of the clock, the balance wheel is carefully held as the pointers are moved toward the (+).  They all move together.  To slow the clock, the pointers are moved toward the (-).  Try this over the weekend and if you don't see any difference, get back with me next week and we can look at some other things.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)