Clocks, Watches/Mantel Clock chime

Question
I have a Howard Miller Mantel Clock Model# 630-159; Serial # F0023450072.  During an extended absence, the two "C" batteries began to fail and the clock ceased to run.  Upon my return, I replaced the two "C" batteries and set the correct time on the clock.  The clock began to run and has been keeping accurate time.  However, the clock has not chimed since I replaced the batteries.  There is no westminister quarter hour chime and the clock does not strike on the hour. Does something need to be done to the clock to begin the chiming process after new batteries have been installed?

Answer
Hermle2114.jpg
Hermle2114.jpg  
Terry, I am not sure of the make or model of the movement in the Howard Miller #630-159.  Sometimes companies do change movements for a particular case number.  However, by your description, I think that maybe your movement was made by Hermle for Howard Miller.   They are discontinuing that line of movements, but there are still a few available.  If not, other types can be substituted. I am attaching a photo of the Hermle.  The batteries should have the (+) side up.  Some of the earlier models were such that the bottom contacts did not work with certain batteries because of a plastic ring on the bottom of the batteries.  I believe those were Energizers.  Later models were modified to correct this problem.  I don't think that anything would work on the movement with this problem.  There are two switches on the left.  The upper one should be up so the clock will chime  on all 4 quarters and strike on the hour.  The lower one should be in the middle for 24 hour chiming and striking.  On the right there is a switch on the bottom will be a 3-position switch, the left position will be off and the middle and right ones will be for two different melody. Make sure it is in the middle or right position.  The upper small knob is for volume.  Make sure the volume is turned up.  If this doesn't work or this is not the type of movement you have, send a clear photo of the back of the movement you have to my clock shop email address below.  I will try to help you find a replacement.  Quartz movements are very rarely repaired, because there are on parts or diagnostics available, and the cost of diagnosing and repairing one of these movements soon exceeds the cost of a replacement movement.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman