Clocks, Watches/Repair of broken cable on Hermle 1161

I have a minimal knowledge of clocks but I'm trying to replace a broken chime cable on a Hermle 1161-853BS for my daughter.  Is it possible to remove the plastic cover on the drum and replace the cable without extensive removal of other parts or separation of the 2 clock plates. Your advice  would be greatly appreciated.
Dave Mayer

Dave, I have lost all my recent emails, so I have had to go back and find the Allexperts questions.  I'm not sure if you can do that.  I have one in my shop and will check tomorrow.  I'm sure that that model has the "stopworks" gears on the front which limit the number of turns when winding so it cannot be overwound or run down too far.  After the cable is removed, they have to be set up again and I have to have one in my hand to explain it.  I will get back to you.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)