Clocks, Watches/Repair of broken cable on Hermle 1161

Question
John,
I have a minimal knowledge of clocks but I'm trying to replace a broken chime cable on a Hermle 1161-853BS for my daughter.  Is it possible to remove the plastic cover on the drum and replace the cable without extensive removal of other parts or separation of the 2 clock plates. Your advice  would be greatly appreciated.
Dave Mayer

Answer
Dave, I have lost all my recent emails, so I have had to go back and find the Allexperts questions.  I'm not sure if you can do that.  I have one in my shop and will check tomorrow.  I'm sure that that model has the "stopworks" gears on the front which limit the number of turns when winding so it cannot be overwound or run down too far.  After the cable is removed, they have to be set up again and I have to have one in my hand to explain it.  I will get back to you.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman