Clocks, Watches/Sligh

QUESTION: John, Pendulum bob fell adjusting nut. happened once before. No threads left for adjusting. trying to locate supplier to replace pendulum or send out for repair to replace thresded rod snd reassemble. Model# 0878 - 1 - CO, pendulum # 560 - 0005> Clock was purchased in 1992. excellent condition and runs well.

ANSWER: Jim, clock manufacturer's numbers do not help, as these numbers were usually not kept in accessible archives.  Look on the back plate of the movement and let me know what information you find.  Then we can go from there.  There might be another problem is you were trying to slow down the rate to an adjustment that ran out of screw thread.  Was this the original pendulum that had been working correctly for a length of time?  If you can send to my clock shop (email address below) a clear photo of the pendulum along with the movement number, I might be able to help.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

QUESTION: John, did you receive my response with picture attachments dated May 23, 2014.  Thank you.

Jim, I did receive your response and answered it, but evidently my last email did not get to you.  I replied that we must have had a misunderstanding, as I had requested the numbers found on the back plate of the movement, not a sticker on the clock.  The movement consists of a front plate and back plate, each approximately 6" X 9" (grandfather size).  On the back plate, viewed from the back of the clock there should be some information which will help me determine the configuration of the pendulum.  Then we will determine whether the pendulum can be adjusted or altered to regulate correctly, or if a new pendulum is a better choice.  If a new pendulum is needed I will try to find a supplier or I might have one in stock.  Please answer to my email address again, as it will help free up the question queue on the limited number of questions allowed per day.  Thanks,

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)