Clocks, Watches/trend by sligh grandfather clock

Can you tell me anything about the subject clock? The style is #91-OWN-641, the movement is #124BL and the pack # is 431/174.
Someone donated it to my church and the pastor has asked me to research it with the intent of selling it.  I'm not looking for an appraisal, just info on how old it is and if it is rare. Thanks you.

Arnie, there is very little available information on some manufacturer's clocks, and I have no records on Sligh Clocks.  They stopped manufacturing clocks in late 2005.  I normally don't offer appraisal information on clocks, as the prices vary so much from one locale to another.  Generally, the value of a clock depends on the selling price and year it was sold, the condition of the movement and case, and most importantly, the demand and economy in the area in which it is being sold.  For your request I will be glad to give you a little more information.  If you will send me a clear photo of the complete front of the clock and one of the back of the movement, I might be able to give you a general idea of what it might sell for.  Also include the area in which you live.  Please reply to my clock shop email address below.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Arnie, after I sent my answer I re-read your question and did not reply to your specific question.  Slight clocks were what I consider modern production clocks, generally after WWII.  I would not consider them rare, except for unusual production runs of comerative clocks.  I can only guess from the style that the "91" might indicate that it was manufactured in 1991.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)