Clocks, Watches/chime and clock synchronization

Question
I found your answer to an identical question that I have. My Hamilton clock is chiming 3 hours off the clock time.ie it chimes 5 at 2 o'clock. When I try to advance the hour hand it seems to take more pressure than I am willing to apply. I'm afraid to press it any harder for fear of breaking the small hand.  Any advice???

Answer
Richard, since I don't have the identity of the clock movement, it is difficult to tell how to correct this problem.  But, if it is a 31-day (it could be labeled a 30 , 32 or 35 day), usually a wall clock, the hour hand is keyed and cannot be slipped.  The problem would probably have to be corrected by a clockmaker.  If it is a German clock, it would have probably been manufactured by Hermle for Hamilton.  The hour hand can be slipped.  It could be that the hour hand has become stuck on the hour hand tube.  Although we don't recommend WD-40 as a lubricant for clocks, it sometimes can be used for loosening parts that have become jammed.  Stop the clock and note where the minute hand is pointing, and remove the minute hand nut and hand.  Spray a little WD-40 on a cotton swab and apply a small amount to the hour hand bushing where it fits on the tube.  Let it soak in for a few minutes and then try slipping it.  If you can't get it to slip, you might want to have a clockmaker look at it.  If you can slip it, reinstall the minute hand in the same position it was when you removed it.  Turn the clock until it reaches the hour and strikes.  Count the number of strikes.  Slip the hour hand to that number.  Using the minute hand, reset the clock to the proper time of day and restart the clock.  If you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman