Clocks, Watches/Clock

Hello , I have a 1986 Seth Thomas grandfather clock ,model #4499-C  Cutting-8532 ENG -4499-003 Mov't -A-415-013 Finish 525  Triple chime which chime melody will not switch and or change   Melody will not change . Can u tell me why and if there is something I can do to correct this .

Kathaleen, if the clock has not been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years, there can be a buildup of gummy lubricants and/or worn parts that is causing the problem.  There is a melody drum on the back right side of your clock movement. When you move the chime selection lever up or down it moves the melody drum back and forth to change the melody.  Something is stuck and keeping it from moving.  Without seeing it I cannot really tell what the actual problem is.  You have provided numbers possibly from a label on the clock.  However, the companies, for various reasons, do not identify the actual movement manufacturer or part number for the movement.  They give it their own codes.  I do have some numbers which cross reference the Seth Thomas numbers to the Hermle movements, but the A415-013 is not one of them.  If you can possibly send a clear photo of the movement from the right side (is there an access door that would allow this?) to my shop email address below, I could possibly identify the movement and determine some further instruction.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)