Clocks, Watches/reset clock

Question
I let the stop running. To reset I moved the hands to proper time and wound. Now chime does not match time. I have had this problem before and remember removing both hands.Replace hour hand to match last hour chime. Is this correct?

Answer
Roger, I don't know the movement make or model number, but if this a mechanical modern production unit, the following is the procedure for synchronizing the hands with the time (The hands do not need to be synchronized if they were working before and have not been removed.  So follow the instructions accordingly):

SYNCHRONIZING THE MINUTE HAND

To synchronize the minute hand for the correct operation, follow these steps:  The minute hand (long one) will fit on the square minute hand shaft in four different positions.  Only one is correct.  The way to determine the correct one is to install it temporarily on any of the positions and move it forward, letting each chime complete it's tune until the hour chime has finished and the hour has struck.  Without turning anything, remove the minute hand and reinstall it pointing to the 12.  Install and tighten the hand nut.  I always use a pair of pliers to tighten the nut a little more than hand tight, but not too much.  This keeps the nut from loosening and coming off in the future.

SYNCHRONIZING THE HOUR HAND

After synchronizing the minute hand and letting the clock strike the hour, count the number of strikes.  If the hour hand is not pointing to the hour that just struck, slip it to that hour.  This positions the hour hand correctly.  Make sure it is pushed on so it is tight.  Check to see if the hands clear each other and the dial when they rotate.  If they don't they will catch each other and stop the clock.   Then turn the minute hand to reset the clock to the correct time.  The chimes might not be in sync, but they should correct within one to two hours.  

MINUTE HAND ALIGNMENT FOR MODERN CLOCKS (MINUTE HANDS WITH BUSHINGS)

If the minute hand is not pointing exactly to a quarter or hour when you hear a "click" that starts the chime, the bushing needs to be slipped.  If possible, stop the clock and note the position of the minute hand.  Without turning anything, remove the minute hand nut and the minute hand.  Grasp the bushing on the back of the minute hand with a good pair of pliers at a right angle
to the jaws of the pliers (this is to keep from pinching your fingers if the pliers slip). Hold the minute hand near the center and slip it in the direction  to correct the position.  Reinstall it on the minute hand shaft and check to see if it is pointing at the quarter or the hour.  If not, readjust it.  It may take a few tries to get it just right.  Start the clock again and check for the alignment.   It might be a little off, as the trip point of the clock can vary from tripping it manually.  Therefore, it might need one more fine alignment.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman