Clocks, Watches/Skeleton Wall Clock

QUESTION: I recently acquired a Haller skeleton wall clock (single weight driven) minus a pendulum. While I think I have worked out the pendulum length and where to get a replacement there is a more serious problem.

The movement has no identifyng numbers (other than Made in Germany) but it looks to me like or the same as a Hermle 701 (if this is the weight driven wall clock version). The pendulum leader happily swing back and forth and the weight drops BUT the hands do not move. If I move the minute hand round the gears move and the bell stikes on the hour. Sometimes they move for about 5 minutes but eventually they will stop moving.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

ANSWER: Bob, I have a clock on the bench right now that is similar if not identical to your clock, and the problem is the same.  I believe the center shaft turns with the motion of the clock and there should be a friction washer to drive the minute hand, which is geared to the hour hand.  I suspect the washer is missing or has lost its "bevel" so it doesn't drive the hands.  I have put it aside due to some cleanup and service calls, but I will get back to it in the next couple of days and let you know what I find.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: If you have one in the shop can you confirm the pendulum rod length and the epndulum bob size.

I had taken it off the test stand to check out another clock.  If you will reply to my email address below, I can send some photos and discuss some details.  It will also help free up the Allexperts question queue of which I have a limited number per day.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)