Clocks, Watches/cost

Question
how much is a 1979 tempus fugit grandfather clock made by hermle worth I found info on the back of the timepiece-1161-053H 94 cm 66.00 NU (c) jewels. I am liquidating what I have and am wondering what it's worth.

Answer
Joseph, in my Allexperts personal bio I explain that I do not give values over the Internet, as I am not a certified appraiser.  You have what I consider a "modern production clock" meaning that it was manufactured since WWII and these clock do not generally appreciate in value.  As a result, there are very few if any sources that list values of most of these clocks.  The value of these clocks depends on the date of manufacture (yours is 1979), the condition of the case and movement, and most importantly, the demand for grandfather clocks and the economy in the area in which you live.  I will say that a grandfather clock in good condition with the Hermle 1161-053 movement in my area will be offered at estate sales for around $500 to $700 and I will buy quite a few on the 2nd day for half price, restore them and sell and guarantee them for about about twice that, depending on what I have had to do to them.  I might suggest that you check listings like classifieds, shoppers, Craigslist or an Interned auction Web Site such as eBay.  On eBay you should look for clocks similar to yours and look in the "Completed Listings", not the bidding or asking prices.  Also, these listings are mostly for local pickup, as packing and shipping are not usually offered because of cost.  If you will send to my shop email address below, a photo of the complete front of the clock and the name if any on the dial (or a photo of the dial), I might be able to tell you the manufacturer, which might help in your listing it for sale.  The phrase "Tempus Fugit"  Is not the manufacturer or model, but found on a globe on an arch dial in place of a moving moon dial.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

up questions.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman