Clocks, Watches/Haid FHS 130-020 removing hands

Clock hands
Clock hands  
Hi John,

I have an antique Haid clock with FHS 130-020 innards. The winding mechanism is blocked somehow, but if I turn the clock-hands by hand, the clock appears to function pretty cleanly, wheel bounces back and forth, chimes chime, etc. I've never fixed a clock so I have no idea if this is actually a good sign or meaningless.

I wanted to take the clock's mechanism out of the body and see what is blocking it from winding.

In the back, I can easily unscrew the screws that are holding the whole engine in place. But the clock hands are also attached through the clock face and prevent me from taking it out to inspect the winding mechanism (which is on the face). How can I remove the hands so that I can take the actual clock mechanism out and see what's blocking the winding?

Picture attached hopefully makes it a little clearer.

Hi, Najeeb.  The movement in your clock was made for Haid by Hermle.  The mainsprings (winding clockwise) could be wound up all the way, which means they can be wound no more.  This is what I think you to mean by "blocked".  When they are wound the provide the power for the three functions (time, chime and strike).  It sounds like the clock is not running, possibly due to old lubricant or worn parts.  These movements should be serviced every 7 to 10 years, and if yours has not, this could be the problem.

In answer to your question, the minute hand nut is removed and the minute hand is pulled off.  Notice the orientation of the hand.  It fits on a square shaft and only one of the 4 positions will be correct.  After the minute hand is removed, the hour hand is pulled straight off.  Again, if the clock has not been serviced, the hour hand could be a little difficult to remove.

I can't really advise you how to fix the problem you are describing.  We get a lot of clocks of this type in our shop that are not running.  To service them correctly, we let the mainsprings down, dismantle most of the parts, clean and check for any that are worn, repair or replace them and reassemble.  Then we lubricate and test run, making any necessary adjustments. I would not recommend that someone without clock repair experience do this.  It would be better to have an experienced clockmaker look at it.  However, if you would like to remove the movement, let me know when you are ready to put it back in the case and I will send you some instructions on synchronizing the hands.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)