Clocks, Watches/King Arthur grandfather clock

Question
Hello- we purchased a grandfather clock for $100 at an auction several years ago and would like to figure out its age. Once we got it home we discovered that the numbers look to be plastic which makes us think it probably isn't very old- maybe made in the 70's??  It's a nice looking clock and does appear to be solid wood except for the back.  The finish on the wood reminds me of a lot of the "Early American" style furniture that was popular in the 70's.  Do you have any info that could help us figure out its approximate age?  The sticker on the inside of the bottom door is printed in red ink on white paper and reads King Arthur Clock Company, 107 South Section Street, Post Office Drawer KA, Fairhope, Alabama36532.

Answer
Dawn, I am putting my status on "Vacation" for a couple of days.  I don't know what happened, but I send an answer and the status shows as still pending.  So, my answer is that, if I remember correctly, King Arthur started around the 1970's and went out of business in the 90's.  On the back of the movement (if it was manufactured for King Arthur by Hermle) there should be a bit of information on the lower right hand corner if you look from the back.  The first line would be 2 numbers like "82", which would mean it was manufactured in 1982.  They changed the coding in 1988 to alpha characters, so if it is an "A", it would have been manufactured in 1988, "B" would be 1989, etc.  If I find anything else about the history when I get back to my shop on Wednesday, I will get back with you.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Clocks, Watches

John Newman