Clocks, Watches/Verichron chime failure

I have a quartz Verichron pendulum wall clock with a Westminster chime. The clock keeps perfect time but the chime has stopped. There's a small wooden piece on the back held in place with two clips that I open to replace the battery but I don't see anything related to the chime in there.  I don't recall ever turning off the chime.  Any ideas? I liked the chime. :)

Hi Linda,

Battery movements aren't so repairable. Usually you have to replace the movement.

The first thing I would try are new batteries. Batteries have to be 1.5 volts. If they are less than that the chime may not work. If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage using the 2 volt setting. Some multimeters have a battery tester setting.

Try a Duracell or a coppertop battery. The Duracell have rounded bottoms that fit in the battery holder a bit snugger.
If this doesn't work you may need to replace the movement.

Hope this helps,
The Clocklady

Clocks, Watches

Marilyn Bellotti

This is for advice only. ~Most~ repairs need a professional. If I can help you with an adjustment that can set your clock back in order I will try. I can not write a chapter on clock repair. I will point you in the right direction and you will have to do your own research on how clocks work for more intense repairs. -No Watches -No Appraisals. Search ebay for past sales for that information.

29 years repair experience

Certified Horologist