Clocks, Watches/Frozen hour hand

Unfortunately, I did not pull up the weights in time.  The clock stopped and the hour hand is frozen.  Advice would certainly be appreciated.

Ann, you didn't tell me the make or model of the clock and movement, but I will treat it as a modern production floor clock (since WWII).  In what you said, I understand that the clock stopped when the weights bottomed out.  This is not unusual for clocks, particularly when clock owners go away for more than a week and forget to stop the clock.  Just wind the weights as you normally would.  DO NOT try to move the hour hand.  Move the minute hand around until the clock is set with the proper time of day.  Start the pendulum and it should auto correct the chime and strike within an hour, possibly two hours.  If it still isn't working correctly, get back with me.

John Newman
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)