Clocks, Watches/Hel

Question
Where might be able to purchase a suspension spring for this clock? It's model is 451-053, top #76
There was no Owner's Guide booklet that came with the clock,
with the following part numbers listed on the back: MONTGOMERY WARD MODEL CPM 9048

on the clock  
        76
      N0101 Jewels
  FRANZ HERMILE
 made in West Germany
    UNAJJUSTED
       85CM/
       70.77

I see where the spring was broken, Thumb screw to replace and I have the Pendulum, was/is there anything else needed to repair this clock,  price shipping and turn around time If available

Answer
Edward, there are a few types of suspension springs associated with the Hermle 451 movements, due to different version throughout the years.  I will do some checking Monday at my shop and get back with you.  I can suggest some suppliers and if you have difficulties, I might have the one you need in stock.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

I use the smaller suspension springs for the earlier 451 models.  This type had a standard bridge rather than the newer hi-bridge which uses a larger suspension spring.  You can order them from suppliers such as Timesavers, R&M Imports, Black Forest Imports, Merritts Antiques, Mile-High and Ronell. Most of them have On-line catalogs.  I just happen to have a Timesavers  catalog in front of me and their part number for that suspension spring is #24688.   I did not realize that the thumb screws was used in the mid 1970's.  Most of these models used taper pins to secure the suspension springs.  I do have the suspension springs in stock if you have problems obtaining them from the suppliers.  As the suspension springs are rather delicate, I would suggest you purchace two of them, as if one is broken while installing, you have another.  If it is successfull, put the suspension spring in a small envelope and tape it to the inside of the side of the hood near the movement.  Then you have a spare.  If you have trouble getting the clock to run contact me at my shop email address below and I will help you determine what is wrong.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman