Clocks, Watches/Howard Miller Mantle Clock

Question
Howard Miller Mantle Clock (circa 2003) has a Hermle Quartz Movement 2114 without pendulum.  It has 4/4 Westminster Chime and Bim/Bam option.  Clocked worked ok for ten years or so.  Hands now stop turning exactly when minute hand reaches the top of the hour.  Have replaced batteries.  Can hear movement operating.  Hands move until the minute hand reaches the 12 o'clock position.  Reset the time with minute hand at any other location - and minute hand/hour hand again stop when minute hand again reaches 12 o'clock position.  

Is there anything to do short of replacing the movement?  Is it a mechanical issue or are the electronics confused?

Answer
William, probably what happened is that one of the gears in the hand drive train loosened and is not turning, even though the motor is still running.  Sometimes we have pushed in on the minute hand and tightened a joint to fix the problem, but that is rare.  I understand that Hermle has discontinued that line of movements.  I did do some checking a couple of suppliers still have some in stock.  One is Timesavers and the replacement movement numbers are #23560 or 18934 ,depending on your the mounting bushing for a 3/8" or 7/16" dial thicknesses. They do have the pendulums, but they can be easily removed.  Google them and they have an On-line catalog.  Merritts Also has them under the P-1375 series and they also have an On-line catalog.

I hope this helps.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman