Clocks, Watches/Jauch Chime & Strike Levers

Question
Jauch chime lever off
Jauch chime lever off  
Jauch chime lever on
Jauch chime lever on  
QUESTION: Hi John,I just received my Jauch P.L.61cm from a service cleaning and tuneup. The movement installs in a Gazo Granddaughters clock,however the chime & strike hammers are not working and the service person is not available for help. When the lever is in the on position the chimes & strikes do not work. I have to lift the chime & strike levers for the chimes & strikes to operate only one time. When I move the minuet hand clockwise around the 1/4,1/2,3/4 and hour, the movement just clicks no chimes or strikes. Is there an adjustment I should make to the levers? Attache are photos

ANSWER: Jack, I cannot really tell if the lever has anything to do with the chime and strike hammers not working.  Of course, in normal operation the strike will not function if the chime is not completing it's hourly function.  I believe that if you hear a click, that means the silent lever is out of the way.  After you hear the click, have you tried to (gently) turn the gears on the chime side to see if they are completely jammed or just stalled out?  Try that and get back with me.  We'll try to think of something else.  I don't know if your clockmaker is not available for help temporarly or not, but not seeing the clock, I cannot advise you to make any adjustments, as he might claim that you tampered with his work.  Did you deliver the movement to him in the case and receive it that way, or did you install it yourself?  Sometimes a lever or device can get out of adjustment in installing.  Let me know.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

QUESTION: John, I removed the movement from the Gazo case packed the movement in two boxes and shipped. The chime drum is not jammed or stuck. When I lift the chime lever the chimes and strikes work.When moving the minuet hand around clockwise the first time the chimes and strike will work only once,after that just clicks no chimes or strikes.I have given up on the person who work on the movement, as he can not come up with the solution to fix this issue.I have been told this might be a synchronization problem with the 4 cams. The clock runs but will not chime and strike with the hours.
Thank you,
Jack Peterson

Answer
Jack, sometimes when a clock owner removes a movement, ships and then re-installs it on return, some external parts can get knocked out of alignment.  However, it doesn't sound like this happened.  First, the strike probably does not have a problem, as it will not work anyway unless the chime completes its hour chime. So, let's look at the chime.  Something is keeping it from tripping and/or running,  It could be a sync problem, a lift arm problem or a worn star cam (not likely).  It could even be that power is not reaching the gears because of a weak mainspring or a friction problem from a worn bushing.  Regarding the 4 cams, I would think the referral is to the chime hammer cams.  If they were out of sync the notes would play but be out of sequence.  I am sorry that the person that worked on it cannot resolve the problem.  I don't like to judge anyone, particularly another clockmaker, but an experienced clockmaker would be familiar with the problem and solution, if given the correct symptoms, particularly after servicing it.  A big problem here is that the movement would have to be returned to the clockmaker.  I try to insure that everything has been thoroughly checked and tested before shipping a movement, but I have had a couple fail.  My solution was to contact a local clockmaker and have them check the problem, or have it returned.  In both cases, one I paid for the other service and the other I paid for shipping.  I made very little or no profit, but I accepted the responsibility. If you would like to discuss this further, I might be able to give you some additional details.  We can make phone contact and I can point out what to look for in the tripping sequence. As I don't give or ask for personal contact information on Allexperts, please reply to my shop email address below and that will help to free up my limited Allexperts question queue.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

up questions.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman