Clocks, Watches/old pocket watch

Question
My father passed recently and among his belongings was a  E. Howard Watch Co. pocket watch.  The number engraved on the clam shell upper lid is 2163832, C.W.C.Co.
can you tell me anything about its origin?  If is beautiful-
thank you

Answer
Andre, as noted in my Allexperts bio, watches are not my field.  However, I do have a watch identification book, "Complete Price Guide to Watches" by Shugart, Engle and Gilbert, (year 2000) and it does show watches "MARKED" "E. Howard Watch Co. Boston, U.S.A."  It states that the Howard name was purchased by the Keystone Watch Case Co. in 1902, with no patent rights transferred, just the Howard name.  Keystone also gained control of U.S. Watch Co. of Waltham and New York Standard Watch Company.  I don't know if the number you cited was a serial number or not, but the list of serial numbers shows that 1,500,000 equated to the year 1930, and that was the last listing shown.  We usually do not give values on the Internet, but the book lists about 50 watches under the Howard and Waltham names  with a price range depending on condition from $70 to $12,000.

This probably isn't too much help, so I would suggest going back to the Allexperts categories and choosing an expert under the heading of watches.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman