Clocks, Watches/Sligh grandfather clock

Question
WIll like an authorized repairman in Ontario to oiled our clock
Recently moved and were careful in the moving but the clock is not adapting to new place; always stop, need someone to take a look at it....

Answer
Evangeline, unfortunately we do not have any Clocksmiths members in the Ontario area.  But maybe I can offer some suggestions to help you, which I try to do before having someone look at it.  If your clock has not been serviced in the last 7 to 10 years it would probably need to have that done.  But let's try some things first.  Moving a clock, or even removing and replacing the pendulum will cause it to get out of beat and that will stop the clock.  You didn't give me the model of the movement, which is determined by the information found on the back plate of the movement.  Generally, you want to check to see if the weights are hung correctly making sure the heaviest weight is hung on the right side (as you face the clock), and if the pendulum is a decorative metal type with a large bob, the center weight could weigh as much as the right one. Make sure the pendulum is attached to the hanger and crutch.  If you do not have an owner's manual and do not understand the names of the parts, get back with me and I will go into a little more detail. If it is a cable drive, make sure the cables haven't tangled at the top and they are threaded through the pulleys. Regarding the beat, you should hear a tick....tock....tick....tock.  If it goes tick..tock......tick..tock, it is out of beat and will stop.  The later models of the modern grandfather clocks have an self-adjusting auto-beat mechanism.  To set it, the pendulum is held over to one side of the case and released.  It should set it's own beat and continue to run.  Good luck and let me know what happens.

John Newman
The Village Clocksmith
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman