Clocks, Watches/Hermle clock problem

QUESTION: Hi, I have just completed a Vienna Regulator using a 241.840 movement. The problem is the chime does not work. The mechanism can be heard working when a chime is due but the hammer does not lift.
A warranty claim is not possible as I bought it 5 years ago. Are you able to offer any advice?

ANSWER: sure--what does "heard working" mean?  you just get a click noise or are the gears turning on the hour and half hour?

is the hammer in the "rest postion" or is it pulled back but not dropping?

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. The gears can be heard turning on the hour & half hour.
The hammer is in the rest position.

there is a little flipper arm attached to the shaft that the hammer hinges on--that gets lifted by a gear with multiple spoked fingers on it

when the gears turn for the strike the fingers lift the flipper arm

you are going to have to get so you can see what is not happening in this senario

the rest position is governed by a U shaped wire attached to this same shaft with the flipper arm on it

bending the U closed a bit more, alters the rest position and brings the flipper arm to engage the lift fingers more if needed

but you gotta look to see what is going on  or not in order to decide what the fix is

Clocks, Watches

Kenneth Saunders

any mechanical clock question -no watches- no battery clock questions and no appraisals-ie: "how much is my clock worth?" type questions please! Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks 40 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner

43+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score....