Clocks, Watches/Centurion clock

John, hello! My centurion 35 day clock is chiming 5 minutes past the hour. How can I resulve this issue.

Rebecca, I think that the Korean clocks were the only ones that used the Centurion name.  Most clocks, including yours have a keyed minute hand which keeps if from slipping, once it is set correctly.  The worst secenario is that the hand has slot in  the hand material itself in the center where it attaches to the minute shaft.  These are not adjustable.  The adjustment would have to be made inside the clock movement, meaning that it might have to be disassembled by an experienced clockmaker to do this.  I have a Centurion in my clock "bone yard" for old parts.  But it doesn't have the hands on it, so I am not sure.

Now for the good news.  It is possible that your hand has a hex shaped bushing which is attached to the minute hand on the back.  It can be adusted by slipping the hand on the bushing.  Turn the minute hand until it is a couple of minutes before the hour.  Let it run and when it starts striking, stop the pendulum.  Without turning the hands, remove the minute hand nut and the minute hand.  Grasp the bushing on the back of the minute hand with a good pair of pliers at a right angle to the jaws of the pliers (this is to keep from pinching your fingers if the pliers slip). Hold the minute hand near its center (to keep from bending it), and slip it, in your case, backwards the equivalent of 5 minutes.  Reinstall it on the minute hand shaft, install and tighten the minute hand nut and check to see if it trips on the hour.  If not, repeat the steps above.  One note, and if the hand had slipped rather easily, it could be that this caused to slip in the first place.  If this is the case, the hand/bushing should be tightened.  In the shop I stake it using a punch and hammer, but I have also put a very fine bead of super glue around the joint on the front and back of the bushing/hand after aligning it, which might be the easiest thing for you to do. Don't use too much super glue!  

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, get back with me.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)