Clocks, Watches/Grandfather clock. - approximate value

HM Devon 302
HM Devon 302  

HM Devon 302
HM Devon 302  
I have a Howard Miller Devon #302 grandfather clock that I am interested in selling.  I bought it in the early 1980's and the retail price was $4589.  It is in very good condition except for the cable being off the track on one pendulum.  I live in central Texas and would like an opinion of a fair asking price.  Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Lindsey, in my Allexperts personal bio, I state that I do not give appraisals or values, but I will reply to your question.

Look on local listings or On-line auctions such as eBay (in the "Completed Listings") for clocks similar to yours that have sold.  The value of a clock is what you can get for it.  One rule in your case is that if you ask too much and don't get any interest, you can drop the price.  If you sell it immediately, you probably haven't asked enough.  But that could depend on how fast you want to sell it.  Some factors to consider in pricing a clock depend on the sale price (not the advertised price) of the clock when new, the age, condition of the case and movement, and most importantly, the economy in the area in which you are trying to sell the clock, and the demand.

I haven't given you a value, but maybe some guidelines on which to base your price.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)