Clocks, Watches/Grandmother clock will not bong.

Question
I have a Trent clock style 838w movement# 109. The clock has stopped bonging. It has Westminister chimes and chimes on the quarter hour. When you move the minute hand you do not hear the click or feel the resistance when passing a quarter hour. If you touch the movement in the back it will bong ok. Any idea?

Answer
It sounds like the levers are all actuating correctly but the gears will not spin freely enough to run the chime and/or strike. The first thing I would do is lubricate the movement. A drop of oil on the pivots near the top of the movement will often get them turning again.
Just to get our language clear:
Chime is the musical sequence played on the quarter hour
Strike is the hour count after the chime on the top of the hour
I have a video on oiling a clock movement here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9YrBcKiHA4

Michael
www.norkro.com
clock parts and repair

Clocks, Watches

Michael Radi