Clocks, Watches/Hamilton Wheatland chiming

I have a Hamilton Wheatland that runs great - keeps very good time, chimes correct number on the hour, but no chime on the quarter hours. At the qtr/half hour the hammer moves but does not strike the chimes. Just now it is 0831 here is Salt Lake City, UT and the mechanism ran - the hammers moved at exactly 0830 but did not strike the chimes.

Please advise - thx !

Michael, I am a little confused as to what is happening due to the terminology.  No problem, though.  Just as a technical point of information, we refer to the CHIMING as the tune played on the quarter hours and hour.   STRIKING is counting out the hour (and striking once on the half hour). Models of clocks, i.e. Hamilton Wheatland, do not necessarily identify the movement used in the clocks.  The information on most Modern production clocks is found on the back plate of the clock movements.  

I might need the model of the movement, but first, have you just acquired this clock, or if you have had it for a while did the chime/strike function just start happening?  How many winding holes do you find on the face of the clock?  Are there two or three.  Two would indicate what we call a time and strike.  Three would indicate time/chime/strike.  There are always exceptions, but rare and I would not think an exception in your case.  If there are two, is it a 31 (or thereabouts) day clock? And when you say, "At the qtr/half hour the hammer moves but does not strike the chimes."  What happens at the three quarter hour?  Let me know these answers and I will try to see what the problem is.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clocks Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)