Clocks, Watches/Hermle 130-070

With reference to the question on how to adjust a Hermle 130-070.  Turning the screw towards the - or the + to me depends on how one views the - or the +.  My question is, if the screw is turned clockwise, how does this affect the speed of the clock?

Jon Nazareth

Jon, Hermle used two types of balance wheel regulators in their clocks, in addition to the conventional pendulum regulators.  The earlier models used what was known as the "floating balance", which had a vertical spiral floating spring, and the later type was known as the "balance wheel", which had a horizontal hairspring like in a watch. The diagram stamped on the balance wheel assembly is a little confusing to read.  Sometimes we get Clockwise and Counterclockwise (Or in the UK, Clockwise and Anti-clockwise) mixed up.  So here is the rule I use.  As you look at the back of the clock and if you could see hands, they would be rotating CCW.  To increase the speed of the clock, you would rotate the adjusting screw in the same direction.  If you want to decrease the speed, rotate it in the opposite direction.  The amount of change is also difficult to decipher on the diagram.  What it means is that if you rotate the screw 60 degrees as shown between the arrows in the diagram, it will change the timing 10 seconds per day, or one complete turn equals 1 minute per day.  If you will Google "Hermle balance wheel assembly" you will see some images and explanations of both types.  The balance wheel diagram is a little easier to see than the one on your clock.  

Now, that is if everything is in good operating order.  The reason I say this is that the balance assembly must be clean, free of debris and lubricated properly, along with the hairspring coils not touching while operating, free of magnetism and any foreign matter such as oil.  The mainspring that powers the the wheels (gears) in the time section must have not weakened, and must have lubricant in good condition.  Any of these items can affect the timekeeping of the balance assemblies, which are more critical than the pendulum models.

It is helpful for me to know if you just acquired this clock and find that it is not keeping good time, or if this has been a problem for some time or if it just started happening.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)