Clocks, Watches/hershede lady shelly grandfather clock

Question
purchased this clock recently  i have put the weights on but there is no place to wind up the clock. unless i am missing it.. how do i wind this clock? any info will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Answer
Ken, it looks like one of the Herschede clocks I worked on many years ago, but I do not have any recollection of the actual name or model.  I did check some images of the Lady Shelly models and cannot verify if they all are the actual one.  The reason I mention this is that I would think this one is a chain drive rather than a cable drive.  For a chiming clock there would be three weights.  A general rule on hanging the weights is that if one weight is heavier than the other two equal ones, it hangs on the right (as you face the clock), and if one weight is lighter than the other two equal ones, it hangs on the left.  The cable drives have weights attached to pulleys supported by cables that are wound on a drum in the movement using a crank.  There would be three winding arbors, in the holes in the dial and would be wound with a crank.  The chain drives use chains from which the weights hang, thus no winding holes in the dial.  To wind them you pull on the ends of the chains opposite the weights.  Pull the chains straight down with a consistent pull until the tops of the weights are at the top of the door frame.  This should be enough to run the clock for 8 days.  Contrary to some erroneous instructions, you should not lift on the bottom of the weights when winding to "save" the movement.  I have taken many service calls because someone has lifted the weight faster than they pulled the chain and the weight has become unhooked, falling the bottom of the clock and even through the bottom, causing damage to the the weight and the bottom panel.  Also, the clock does not need to be stopped when winding or setting the time, and most modern clocks are safe-back, meaning that the minute hand can be turned backwards to set the clock.  And whether the clock is set frontwards or backwards, one does not need to wait for the chimes or strike to finish before continuing as they are auto-correcting and will set themselves to the proper operation within one to two hours.

I've given you more information than you had asked, and I hope it helps a little.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman