Clocks, Watches/Ridgeway clock

Question
John,

I am looking to buy a used Ridgeway grandfather clock.  It has the model number 5281 inside the clock.  Any idea how old it is?  It is missing a piece of the wood scroll at the top.  Do you know where I can get parts for it?

Joe

Answer
Joe, as you probably know, Ridgeway is no longer in business.  They were bought out by Howard Miller in 2005.  Howard Miller has continued a line of Ridgeway clocks.  I have an old Ridgeway catalog and will check tomorrow and to see if your clock is listed.   Wood parts are usually not available, as the manufacturers do not offer them as replacement parts.  A cabinet shop or furniture refinisher could make and finish a part to match.  If you are talking about a finial or detachable part, they or a close match would be available.  Could you send a photo of the missing part to my shop email address below?  Maybe I can offer a suggestion.  If you are talking about getting parts like a movement, dial, chimes, weights or pendulum, they are available from clock suppliers or business that stock old clock parts. I will get back to you on the model number.

John Newman
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)

klokdok@juno.com

Due to the number of Allexperts questions and
the workload I have at my clock shop, I regret
that I cannot answer personal email questions
on a timely basis other than Allexperts follow
up questions.

Joe, the Ridgeway clock catalog I have lists only the clocks with the model numbres in the 2000's and the 9000's, not the 5000's.  I decided to Google the model and see if I could find anything.  There was a hit and when I went to the Website (Allexperts), I found a question that was asked in 2009.  Guess who answered it?  Yup, it was me!  However, it was a technical question concerning the movement and I had no informatiaon on the complete clock itself.  It turns out the owner had the answer as far as the age.  He said he had owned it for 24 years.  So, your clock would be apporximately 30 years old.

As you have probably seen on my Allexperts personal bio, I do not give values or appraisals over the Internet.  But maybe this will help.  The value of a (modern production clock) depends on the age, selling price, the condition of the case and movement (what it would cost to bring it up to good condition)and most importantly, the demand for clocks and the economy in the area in which the clock is being sold.  

I hope this helps a little.

John Newman

Clocks, Watches

John Newman