Clocks, Watches/waltham 3 day chime clock

I have a Waltham 3 day chime clock in excellent shape on the bottom is a sticker that says L-04 SSSC MADE IN CHINA. My question is how old is my clock? How can I tell? On the back on the clock are numbers three Fives.  In a clover circle. Then there is 31 and 92 underneath it. with some chinnese writing. Im just curious to know how old it is.IF YOU CAN HELP ME AT ALL. Thanks in advance.

Linda, I think you meant to say Waltham 31 day clock, not a 3 day clock.  I am familiar with this clock.  As far as I know, most of, if not all of the 31 day clocks were made in Asia and often use names from American manufacturers. I don't know what type of arrangement is in affect concerning the use of the names.  There is very little information available on these clocks as far as dating is concerned.  I would think that they have been making the clocks with the Waltham name for a while, probably by the thousands, from the 1950's and are possibly still being made.   I will try making some inquiries and if I find anything out I will get with you.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)

Linda, I just talked to a clockmaker friend of mine who has a shop about 80 miles from me in south central Alabama.  He is the "last" of the Waltham company.  He owns the name, "Waltham Precision Instruments" name and manufactures aircraft clocks for the military. I asked about the Waltham name used in the Asian clocks and he said the names are "taken" for their clocks with no agreement with anyone.  He also agreed with me there is hardly any information abailable to determine the dates of manufacature.  After an inquiry to my Internet Clocksmiths group, I received a reply from a member whom I has just sent a used part to replace a broken one.  He said that the Waltham was manufactured in Korea.  Incidently, there are VERY FEW replacement parts for these clocks, and some of us to have "junkers" we keep for parting out when a part is needed.  

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)