Clocks, Watches/Welby Clock

Whole movement
Whole movement  

I recently purchased a Welby clock second hand. It runs as nuch as 5 minutes fast for every 10 hours. How can I adjust that?

Also, I tool it to a clock repair facility, and they tell me it needs a new movement. How difficult would it be to simply replace it myself?

Attached is a picture of the movement. I cannot identify the movement. Could you help me identify it?

Larry, the movement you have was manufactured for Welby by Hermle and looks like it is their model 340-020.  There are a few reasons the movements with the floating balance regulator will get out of adjustment, some being the need for servicing, which includes disassemling, cleaning, inspecting, repairing any broken or worn parts, reassembling, lubricating and adjusting.  The floating balance regulator requires special attention, cleaning with special chemicals, demagnetizing if required and regulating.

However, there is an adjustment for regulating the floating balance. The balance wheel has a three pronged device in which you rotate to regulate.  Twelve minutes a day is a rather large error and I don't think tht would be in the range of the adjustment.  Running fast would be a result of the coils of the hairspring touching, globs of oil between them or magnetism.  These things reduce the duration of the oscillations of the balance wheel and that will cause it to run faster.  If you will reply to my clockshop email address below, I will reply with a copy of some instructions on how to adjust the regulating prongs.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Note concerning questions not related to Allexperts:  Because of my commitment to answering Allexperts questions within a prescribed time limit and the large backlog of clock work at my shop, I regret that I cannot answer personal email questions on a timely basis, other than Allexperts follow up questions.  I will try to answer these emails as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)