Clocks, Watches/CPM 9084

Upon settling my parents estate, I received this clock.  Is it possible to get a copy of the papers for this clock. So far we haven't been able to keep it running , or from gradually slowing down.

Sheila, I am not familiar with the name or number CPM 9084.  Do you know if it is a manufacturer or a model number?  Is it a mantel, wall or floor clock?  It would help if you could send a photo of the clock to my shop email address below.  If you can see the movement from the back are there any markings on the back plate?  I wouldn't know of any papers since I don't know the clock.  But when I receive the above information I might be able to help by sending you some instructions on a clock not running.  When you say it is gradually slowing down, I have a feeling you mean that when you swing the pendulum the amount of swing will gradually diminish until it stops.  Then means the clock is not running, but just swinging on its own momentum, like a playground swing you push once.  Contact me and we'll see what we can do.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)