Clocks, Watches/Hermle 471-050 Dial

Hi John! I have a Hermle 471-050 movement that I need a dial for. I know that an 1171 uses the same dial post locations as the 471 (because I have an 1171 dial in the shop) however the 1171 is a cable movement and the dial has provisions for the winding arbors. I cannot seem to find a dial for the 471, even Hermle told me they do not use the 471 in any complete clocks they sell, so were not able to help me. I have spoken to R&M, Black Forest, Butterworth, TimeSavers and others, all gave me the same news, no dial.

What I would like to know is what other Hermle dials might fit my 471-050. Perhaps an 1161 chain movement dial might fit the post locations on the 471-050.

Tim, the 471 is not used as much as some of the other movements, and I am not sure about the dial match ups. I will do some checking next week.  I am scheduled to report for jury duty Monday and I'm not sure how many hours or days will be required.  Hopefully I will be able to get to my shop after the session(s) let out.  In the meantime, it would help if you could give me the dimensions of the parts of the movement that will require holes in the dial.  From the center hand shaft to each of the three winding arbors and the dimensions from the winding arbors to each other. Also, if there is a seconds hand, the measurement from the center hand shaft to the second hand arbor.  If you will contact me at my email address below, I can send you a diagram on how to make these measurements.  Also it will help in emailing back and forth without having to go through the Allexperts format.  

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

(not a mailing address)

Tim, in your email to me, you indicated that you have a chain drive.  You did not mislead me. I din not read your question accurately, and as I am not at my shop, did not have the movement information at hand.  Of course you have a chain drive.  Okay, is it a floor clock with the moving moon dial?  And what are the dimensions of the dial frame?  We'll need to know the overall dial size.

Clocks, Watches

John Newman

As much as I would like to offer values of clocks, I am not a certified appraiser and will not venture into giving an unresearched guess. There is very little published information on what I consider to be the value of "modern production clocks". Considerations are what the clock originally sold for, the condition of the case and movement, and particularly the area in which you live, the demand and the economy. ALSO, WATCHES ARE NOT MY FIELD. However, I can advise the clock owner on proper maintenance of a clock to keep it running, small corrections and adjustments and how to move a clock without damaging it. I can also advise on obtaining parts for clocks. It helps if you can send any information on the clock movement which is usually found on the back plate of the movement. I have been a clockmaker for about 35 years and was plant engineer in the mid 90's and later operations and engineering consultant at Emperor Clock Company in Fairhope, Alabama. I now have my own clock shop.

One of my greatest accomplishments was traveling to China to assist a clock factory in building clocks to the standards which we required. With the proper specifications and quality control, some beautiful clock cases were built. The factory people from the wood carvers to the plant manager were very congenial, friendly and I left a lot of wonderful friends when I returned from my trips.

NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) 30 years Prattville, Alabama Chamber of Commerce

Horological Times, a publication of the American Watch and Clockmakers Instute. Collaberated column author, with Photos and ideas for clock movement conversion article.

Associate of Science Mechanical Engineering Technology Emperor Introductory Clock Repair (Eventually taught a portion of the class after becoming employee)

Small Business of the Quarter (Prattville, Alabama) Leadership Class of 2009 (Autauga County, Alabama)