Clocks, Watches/Replacement for Viking Series 111 - 133 Movement

Question
Do you know of a suitable replacement movement for a Viking Grandfather clock that has a Viking Series 111-133 movement.
My clock has ceased to run.  I've tried several methods but without adding weights to the chain, the pendulum motion doesn't cause the movement to "beat" (no tick/tock).
Is it worth having the movement repaired?  If not, what movement now available would you suggest I consider?

Answer
Larry, I cannot identify your movement with the number you have given me.  There is very little available information on cross-reference numbers on cases and movements, particularly from companies that are no longer in business.  Also clock manufacturers occasionally would change movements in the same model cases.  However, if you will send me the information found on the back plate of the movement, I can identify it.  Also if you can send a clear photo of the back of the movement showing the pendulum hanging, I might be able to instruct you on how to get it running.  My shop email address is below.

When you ask if the movement is worth repairing, the only answer to that is to have it looked at by an experienced clockmaker and get an estimate.  Then it's up to you to decide whether it is worth it or not.  Some clockmakers will say a clock is not worth repairing, but I always give an estimate and leave it up to the customer.  If the cost nears that of replacing the movement with one that is the same or doesn't require too much modification, I explain the advantages of a new movement.  Get me the above information and we'll go from there.

John Newman
Vintage Emperor Clock Consultant
THE VILLAGE CLOCKSMITH
Located in Old Prattvillage
Prattville, Alabama

klokdok@juno.com

Larry, I found the Viking Series 111 Installation and Operating Instructions Manual.  It shows drawings of the movement, but not photos.  I am sure it is the Hermle 451-050H 94cm.  That is the information you should find on the bottom right corner of the movement back plate.  If this is correct, you can obtain this movement in the price range of around $300.  I do have them, but you can Google any clock suppliers and check them out.  But first, as I had suggested, send me the information and maybe we can get yours going.

John Newman  

Clocks, Watches

John Newman